The Vedas are said to be the direct revelations from the divine to the sages. The meaning of Veda is "to know" or "the "knowledge" which gives rise to awareness, intelligence and discrimination. There are four Vedas, the Rig Veda, the Sama Veda, the Yajur Veda and the Atharva Veda. They contains the transcendental, universal and eternal truth in the form of hymns, incantations and rituals regarding every aspect of life which helps human beings to lead a more meaningful and balanced life.
Jyotish (Vedic Astrology) is a part of the Vedas as it is said to be the eyes of the Vedas. In Vedic period astrology was an integral part of society and was consulted for major activities. Jyotish means to 'lighten up' or to 'enlighten'. Jyotish (Vedic Astrology) is composed of Ganita (astronomy) and Phalita (astrology).
There were eighteen major sages of Vedic Astrology, few of whose works are documented, are:
Vedic Astrology is the oldest system of astrology in the world, which is still continuing and is practiced in almost the same older form. Calendar based upon the lunar mansions or Nakshatras continues in India and some others countries even today. Vedic astrology uses the actual positions of constellations and planets as seen from the earth (by taking into account the precision of the equinox), which gives a completely different horoscope as compared to the one used by western astrologers.
Vedic Astrology dose not only have various predictive tools but also advices remedy for minimizing malefic planetary influences. The whole zodiac circle or Kalapurusha is divided into 12 signs or Rashis of 30 degrees each:
|1. Aries (Mesha)
||2. Taurus (Vrishaba)
||3. Gemini (Mithuna)
|4. Cancer (Karkata)
||5. Leo (Simha)
||6. Virgo (Kanya)
|7. Libra (Tula)
||8. Scorpio (Vrischika)
||9. Sagittarius (Dhanus)
|10. Capricorn (Makara)
||11. Aquarius (Kumbha)
||12. Pisces (Meena)
Apart from 12 Signs or Rashis zodiac circle or Kalapurusha is also divided into 27 Nakshatras (lunar mansions) each with a span 13.20 degrees.
||11. Poorva Phalguni
||12. Uttara Phalguni
||20. Purva Ashadha
||21. Uttar Ashadha
|25. Purva Bhadra
||26. Uttara Bhadra
(For more details on Nakshatra please see our Nakshatras
There are 16 types of horoscopes, known collectively as Shodashvarga or the Divisional Charts, and each one is used for judging a different aspect of life.
There are predefine planetary combinations knows as Yogas, and these are one of the unique predictive tools of Vedic Astrology. Yoga is a predefined rule taking Planets, Signs and Vedic Aspects into account. The effect of the Yoga, good or bad will manifest in one’s life the timing of which is determined by transit and, or planetary period.
- Rashi or the Lagna or Birth chart of 30 degrees = All aspects of life.
- Hora or one-half of a sign of 15 degrees = Wealth.
- Drekkana or one-third of a sign – 10 degrees = Siblings.
- Chaturthamsha or one-fourth of a sign - 7 degrees 30 minutes = Destiny and Fixed Assets.
- Saptamsha or one-seventh of a sign – 4 degrees 17 minutes & 8.5 seconds = Progeny.
- Navamsa or one-ninth of a sign – 3 degrees 20 minutes = Spouse and many other things.
- Dashamsa or one-tenth of a sign – 3 degrees = Career and Profession.
- Dwadashamsha or one-twelfth of a sign -2 degrees 30 minutes = Parents.
- Shodashamsha or one-sixteenth of a sign -1 degrees 52 minutes & 30 seconds = Conveyance.
- Vimshamsha or one-twentieth of a sign -1 degree 30 minutes = Spiritual Progress.
- Chaturvimshamsha or one-twenty fourth of a sign -1 degree 15 degrees = Knowledge.
- Saptavimshamsha or one-twenty seventh of a sign -1 degrees 6 minutes 40 seconds = Strength.
- Trimshamsha or one-thirtieth of a sign – 1 degree = Misfortunes and Characteristics.
- Khavedamsha or one-fortieth of a sign – 45 seconds = Auspicious & Inauspicious effects.
- Akshavedamsha or one-forty fifth of a sign 40 seconds = For all areas of life.
- Shashtyamsha or one-sixtieth of a sign 30 seconds = For all general effects.
(For more details on Yoga please see our Yoga
There are numerous types of Dasa systems (planetary periods). Each Dasha system has a unique method for dividing time into periods and sub periods and there are distinct ways of interpreting the meanings of periods thus allocated.
|1. Vimshottari Dasa
||2. Sodasottari Dasa
||3. Dvadasottari Dasa
||4. Astottari Dasa
|5. Parkottari Dasa
||6. Satabdika Dasa
||7. Caturasiti Dasa
||8. Dvisaptati Dasa
|9. Sasthihayani Dasa
||10. Sattririisati Dasa
||11. Navamsa Dasa
||12. Rasyamsa Dasa
|13. Kala Dasa
||14. Chakra Dasa
||15. Kalachakra Dasa
||16. Sudarsan Chakra Dasa
|17. Chara Dasa
||18. Navamsa Sthira Dasa
||19. Sthira Dasa
||20. Caturvidha Uttara Dasa
|21. Brahmagrahasrita Dasa
||22. Kendra Dasa
||23. Karak Kendra Dasa
||24. Karak Graha Dasa
|25. Manduka Dasa
||26. Sula Dasa
||27. Nakshatra Dasa
||28. Yogardha Dasa
|29. Drig Dasa
||30. Trikono Dasa
||31. Naksatradi Dasa
||32. Nabatara Dasa
|33. Varnada Dasa
||34. Panka Svara Dasa
||35. Yogini Dasa
||36. Pinda Dasa
|37. Amsaja Dasa
||38. Rasmija Dasa
||39. Nisargaja Dasa
||40. Astavargaja Dasa
||41. Sandhya Dasa
||42. Pachaka Dasa
The formulas for calculating dasha are variable from simple and precise to complex and variable. Vimshottari Dasha, Kalachakra Dasha, Yogini Dasha. Ashtottari Dasha and Navamsa Dasha are most commonly used but the most common of it all is Vimshottari Dasha, also known as Udu Dasha. There and numerous other unique features like Astavarga system, Jamini astrology system etc.
Written by Sanjay Sharma, © 2011, revised August 2013
|© Copyrighted Astrology-Prophets.com. All rights reserved.